Self Defense for Caretakers:
How to protect yourself against aggressive or violent individuals in your care
What is Self Defense for Caretakers?
At Krav Maga ATX, we recognize the “anything to get home safe” self defense mentality is not always an option for caretakers.
You’re entrusted to protect, heal, teach, and take care of your community. You’ve chosen to be here, because you want to help people. But you don’t want to be hurt and you don’t want to harm the human in your care.
What do you do when—in a moment of frustration, fear, anger, an acute traumatic experience, or pain—the person you’re taking care of lashes out?
When striking back is not an ethical or legal option…
When help may be on the way and you just need to hold out a little longer…
When your health and well being are on the line…
When theirs is too…
We invite you to come learn the skills to protect yourself with Self Defense for Caretakers.
About the Self Defense for Caretakers System
We’ve developed a system that pulls from a number of martial arts and self defense systems, including Krav Maga, wrestling, and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. Self Defense for Caretakers uses the best techniques from these martial arts to bring you the best non-violent methods and skills to defend yourself.
These are fast, easy-to-learn responses to common, real-world aggressive behavior.
This is a system that’s beginner friendly. No previous martial arts experience required. All fitness levels welcome.
You’ll learn how to navigate:
- Being hit or slapped
- Being grabbed or pulled
- Defending against strangulations
- Defending against being picked up
- Defending yourself while on the ground
- Getting up safely from the ground
You’ll also learn how to:
- Establish a ready stance on your feet
- Move in your ready stance
- Use your voice under stress (including raising your voice, as well as using calm vocalizations)
- Establish control over another person’s body
- Take that person to the ground, if necessary
- Hold a person down until help arrives or it is safe to release them
- Take a fall safely if you are pushed or knocked over
Who is this for?
Self Defense for Caretakers is for people who find themselves in physically violent situations where they need to defend themselves against the people they are entrusted to protect or heal while in their care.
This can be people who have chosen to care for others as part of their job, career, vocation, hobby, or life’s work.
- Healthcare professionals, including physicians, nurses, clinical nursing assistants, nursing aids, healthcare sitters, and anyone who works in a healthcare facility
- Mental health professionals
- Healthcare professionals in nursing homes
- Special Education teachers
- Foster Care workers, volunteers, and foster parents
- Police officers, especially those who are part of mental health response teams
- Security guards
Interested in training with us?
Fill out the form below and we’ll be in contact with you shortly.